Commercial Grade Flagpole, Installation Instructions
Instructions for 2 and 3 piece flagpoles: All sections of the same shaft are matched and fitted at the factory. The matching sections are marked with a common shaft number. Insure all sections are present before proceeding. The pole must be fully assembled before installing any fittings. Inspect for any finish flaws, variations or damage before assembly. Once assembled, multi-piece shafts generally do not come apart. Check to see that the edge and surface of the jam sleeve section is clean and nick-free. Clean the inside of the receiving end up to 18”. Do not use a great deal of force to assemble. Use liquid soap as a lubricant if needed. Use an oak block and heavy hammer to tap sections together.
ALUMINUM FLAGPOLE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Dig foundation hole four to six times the butt diameter of the flagpole.
- Set the foundation tube so that the top of the foundation tube is two inches above grade.
- Plumb foundation tube and brace so that it will not move during the pouring of the concrete.
- Pour concrete and trowel up even with top of foundation tube. Keep inside of foundation tube dry.
- Lay pole on sawhorses and unwrap. For sectional poles, check both ends for any burrs. If any are found, file them off and wipe the areas clean.
- Fully grease jamb sleeves.
- Align the arrows and/or numbers on each section and jamb together. Numbers must be identical for a proper fit.
- Screw the truck into the top of the pole, using a wrench to assure a tight fit. If cap-style truck is used, be sure set screws are well tightened.
- Screw ball into truck and tighten ball set screw. Ball should be tightened into truck tightly by turning stem of ball with wrench. Do not tighten by turning ball proper.
- If flash collar is provided with pole, slide collar on from the bottom of the pole to above cleat level and attach cleat with one screw to hold flash collar until after erection of pole. Then remove cleat, slide collar down, and replace cleat.
- Caulk between the collar and the pole with waterproof sealant (like roofing cement or asphalt sealant).
- Thread rope through sheave (pulley) of truck and tie the ends together so that the rope will not drop out of the sheave during erection of the pole.
- Erect pole into foundation tube and center it. Do not allow concrete to contact aluminum shaft.
- Turn so that the cleat(s) holes are in the direction desired.
- Place wood wedges (not included) between the pole between the pole and the foundation tube and plumb pole.
- Pack dry sand between the pole and foundation tube. Leave two inch void at the top and fill with waterproof sealant to keep water out of the sand.
- Loop snaps on rope, space properly for flag size being used.
IMPORTANT: When erecting sectional flagpoles, never place your sling above the joint. Sling must be positioned below the joint, thus eliminating the possibility that the two sections could separate during hoisting.
ALSO: For yardarm-type flagpoles, please locate (3) pre-drilled holes approximately 1/3 down from top of pole. Take the 6” x 9” plate and attach at this point. Then attach U-bolts around the yardarm and through the plate. Secure nuts and washers, including the (4) small acorn nuts for the ends of the U-bolts.